Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Reverb 10 | Prompt 3 | Moment

December 3 - Moment
"Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)"

In my efforts to catch up on this challenge I need to pump out 5 blog postings today. I am dreading getting this one done because I am drawing a blank... I have experienced a lot over this past year but I feel like it has been internal and more of an inner change then some momentous moment.

So I have taken some time and finally chose the moment when I discovered I was being offered a full time Event planner position.

I began my journey to transition from a career in mechanical engineering to event management in May 2009. I will spare you all the details but I left my previous employer and started attending classes and volunteering in the city to gain as much exposure as possible. Eleven months later, an opportunity became avaiable in the corporate sector to work as an event professional. I was not currently on the job hunt but had a feeling this was an opportunity I could not let pass me by. After having many interviews as an engineer I had technical interviews down pat but I was embarking on something completely different when I entered the building for my meet & greet.

I completed the interview and in the process convinced myself this was the only job for me! I left the buidling feeling confident but unsure what was going to be next. But two days after I received a phone call stating they want to book an appointment to have me come in and look over an offer. I couldn't of been more over the moon! I had just completed a very relaxing and clarifying yoga class and was walking home on the cool crisp night in April. I felt as light as a feather when I heard the news and retrain myself from jumping up and down in the Bay Bloor entrance to the Nike Store. This one moment cemented all the hard work I had put into changing my path to a path I was being lead down to a path I was guiding myself.

After almost 7 months working at my new position I still feel I need to pinch myself.

No comments: